Canine Good Citizen Class: Help your dog become a valued member of the community by enrolling in The Canine Good Citizen Class (CGC). Started in 1989, CGC is a certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs.
All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club. Our Canine Good Citizen Class is an intermediate-level dog training class geared towards passing the Canine Good Citizen certification test.
Prerequisite: This is a Level 3 Class: Pass Intermediate or Level Assessment, Current Vaccines
(DHPP & Rabies Required, Bordetalla Recommended)
Class Details: 6 Weeks-1hr Classes (5 Classes w/dogs, 1 Test Day) $130
AKC CGC Class Dates 2014
Course and CGC Test Covered:
- Accepting a friendly stranger: This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural, everyday situation.
- Sitting politely for petting: This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to touch it while it is out with its handler.
- Appearance and grooming: This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so.
- Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead): This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the dog.
- Walking through a crowd: This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places.
- Sit and down on command and Staying in place: This test demonstrates that the dog has training, will respond to the handler's commands to sit and down and will remain in the place commanded by the handler.
- Coming when called: This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called by the handler.
- Reaction to another dog: This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs.
- Reaction to distraction: This test demonstrates that the dog is confident at all times when faced with common distracting situations.
- Supervised separation: This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners.
AKC CGC Class Dates 2014
AKC CGC Test Only Dates -We occasionally offer Test Only Days
Our friends at Serenity Farm in Luckey, OH also offer CGC test dates. Please feel free to check them out too!